Tuesday, April 1, 2008

I'm stressed up too!

Yesterday wasn't really an enjoyable day for me. As I was about to leave for my lunch, our HR & Admin Executive - Christ walked up into my office with a long face. She asked me if I've received any particular news lately and I was puzzled by her question. She further explained to me that our FD (Finance Director) have given a 2 months notice to our Accountant to terminate his service. Not only that, what surprises me are that our subsidiary companies are either being sold off or being closed down. 2 of our branches in Limbang and Lawas has been sold off to one of the company shareholder and 1 of our logistic company has been closed down. All assets are on sale now. As for the particular construction company I'm engaged with now has been restructured and all manpower and equipment has been reduced to cut cost. Seems like the economy is getting really bad after all. My MD is retiring end of this week. He is getting old and he needed a break.

Now, our office are left with 2 clerks, 1 HR & Admin Exec, 1 Account Exec, 1 office boy, 1 receptionist and me myself. Christ wasn't so sure whether she will be next on the "lay-off" list as she mentioned to me that it's seems likely that there isn't much job left for her to handle now as most of our workers has been laid off. HR is no more in need. As for admin, most people can handle it. I felt kinda sorry for her because I see the uncertainty in the way she expresses her grievances.

But one thing I'm quite sure about the accountant is that he did not give the bosses a good picture of his value for the company as most of his job are handle by the account executive instead. That is probably the reason why he got laid off. Once you got someone who is performing better than you (especially when that someone is your subordinate), you are on the losing end. That's the way of life. Likewise, if you doesn't improve yourself, others will. Sometimes, I really felt pity for those people who always complains that they're given jobs which is out of their scope. Actually, being multi-tasking has it's advantages. We get to improve ourself and its come with reward if we did well. It's all about survival. How can we survive in this much competitive world if we only know how to do just one thing? I am lucky that I got an assurance from my PD that my position is unaffected. Well, maybe I did almost all the works in my department.. and also other departments as well..*grin*

We need to built a trust in our management that we're worthy and that we can contribute to the company. Our position will only be secured if our management sees the importance of our roll in their organization. Sad to say, a lot of people doesn't see this. This is getting long... I should continue later as I have so much more to share about working life...

1 comment:

= FLoReNcE = said...

Vix vix!!! Cheer up!!!! All of us are just beside u and support u no matter who u r. Gambateh yoh~! :P